What I Like About Pastels So Far!

The creative's difference between pastels, baking and knitting- a brief run down-.

Have I mentioned how much I am enjoying playing around with pastels and getting comfortable with them... probably not since March technically started last week but settled into a good knitting routine and winding down for my "almost" baking break I decided to dive right into the medium only in preparation for March (in case it took me more time to adjust/get used to this part of the challenge. 

This is a first experimentation draft using colours called
"Stained Glass"©, Done: March 3, 2017 from this I got the idea
So I've been trying my hand at this technique-  since February 14th- but heck! it's my challenge so why not. I must admit that before beginning I was quite intimidated with the prospect of having to learn this art. Which might have had something to do why it was third on the list. After all I always enjoy it from afar, appreciating others talents, and work I had thusly thought it as one of those things not for me. Yet I was proven wrong,  if not for the Creative Challenge I might have discounted this enjoyable pastime and passion altogether. After a couple shaky attempts and earlier critical judgments I've come to enjoy the process of creating this type of art. We are six  days into March and already my confidence is growing each time I create and with a new willingness to try again a little braver each time. It seems it's enjoyable in some different and exciting reasons than baking or knitting.  

To name a few and one most important reason!:

  • They are super easy to use as a medium, and so far seem to have simple techniques. If you want a more vibrant part press a little harder on the pastel; for lighter areas either press blend or press lightly.
  • Second: No worries about cleaning up a super messy space or messy brushes. Simply put pastels back in the box, lid on, protective newspapers in the trash and wash your hands. No water to drain and no paint brushes to rinse out. 

And lastly, the most important reason of all! There's no such thing as wrong. 

to do this piece. I liked the way the sunrise appeared in the
first picture and wanted to do a fuller scale of what appears miniature
in "Stained Glass" thusly this became "Golden Hills", done: March 3
as well.
Each time you create a new piece it will be different from the last, an original. Art in general has always been more subjective and varying depending on the artist's own interpretation, style, experiences and visions. Which means the only recipe to follow is the one in your head; that picture every artist sees upon eyeing a blank canvas or a beloved sunset they wish to recreate (NOT duplicate). With no recipe to follow exactly as in baking; or a number of laid out stitches to follow in knitting for a successful scarf or mitts all that matters is the process and the outcome hopefully is a nice reward.  In fact, you don't even have to know what it will look like in the end at the beginning if like me you create from what's inside your head. It's all up to you. 

As someone who in the past worried about perfection quite a bit and was hard on herself when things didn't turn out exactly right. Especially in early baking and knitting days learning that it doesn't really matter in pastels was exciting. In fact it provides a welcome relief and release from the worries of following recipes and patterns when one simply wants to express. Making this skill easier to learn than anticipated. 

That's all for now,
The Pleased Pastelist (Kylie)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting with Cotton Yarn

March's Plan for Learning Pastels

A Magazine Review of Knitting for Beginners